Slow Cooker Shredded Beef (BBQ Pulled Beef)
Easy slow cooker shredded beef recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. This melt in your mouth, juicy, tender chuck roast pulled beef is full of barbecue sauce, spices and lots of paprika.
This dish can stand alone or be used in yummy sandwiches. It’s even great for leftovers! If you prefer chicken, or want to add both to your recipe collection, check out this Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken and Slow Cooker Shredded Asian Chicken.
How to make slow cooker shredded beef recipe from scratch?
- Make spice rub– And rub it over the roast.
- Transfer– To slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients- This includes broth, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, bbq sauce.
- Cover- And cook.
- Shred meat- Using two forks.
- Add more bbq sauce– And mix until combined.
What to serve with crockpot bbq pulled beef?
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes (In Foil)
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Ranch Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Twice Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Casserole
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker Yellow Squash Casserole
- Slow Cooker Garlic Mushrooms
- Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Corn on the Cob
- Green beans
- Roasted vegetables
Don’t forget, you can also make some great meals with the leftovers. Enjoy it in:
- Stuffed Potatoes
What cut of beef is best for shredding?
I prefer a chuck roast, because of how it shreds easily and has a nice flavor. You can also use a rump roast or beef brisket.
Variations for easy bbq shredded beef
Mexican beef– Sprinkle taco Seasoning, chili powder, or make it spicy with cayenne and jalapenos.
Bring on the veggies- You can add in various vegetables for a fuller, more healthy dish by using various peppers, onions, tomatoes, or corn or even a small bag of some frozen veggies.
Top it off- With sour cream or guacamole or salsa or cheese.
Make it a bowl- Make some rice or quinoa, put it in a bowl, then top it with the shredded meat and other toppings or veggies.
Make sandwiches- This makes a great BBQ beef sandwich on hard rolls, bread, or soft buns.
Try different flavors of bbq sauces– There are so many unique flavors in the market these days.
Tips and techniques
Discard half the liquid- Some roasts release a lot of liquid during cooking. If your roast puts out more liquid than you would like, simply scoop out half the liquid and toss it in the sink.
How to thicken sauce? Make a cornstarch slurry and mix that in at the end. Another option is to cook uncovered on stovetop at the end for a few minutes until excess liquid is reduced.
How to make sauce thinner? Simply add more water or broth.
What is the purpose of liquid smoke? This gives it a nice smoky flavor without actually smoking the meat with real wood. Try not to omit it. Even though it’s a small quantity, it adds a strong flavor and aroma.
Cooking time may vary- It depends on the age of your crockpot, the brand, and how tightly it seals.
Don’t cook on high heat- Low and slow is key for the perfect tender, melt in your mouth texture, allowing meat to breakdown better.
Use low sodium broth- Because it prevents the meat from becoming too salty.
Refrigerator- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Freezer- Cool meat, then store in a sealed container for up to 1 month. Thaw in fridge and warm in microwave or on the stovetop.
More instant pot beef recipes
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef (BBQ Pulled Beef)
- 2 tsp Garlic powder, Finely minced
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 3 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 3 pounds Chuck roast
- 1/2 cup Beef broth, Low sodium, Can be replaced with water
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke, Optional
- 2 cups Bbq sauce, Adjust according to your preference
- Make a spice rub by mixing together garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin powder, salt, pepper on top.
- Rub this spice mixture all over the roast.
- Place the chuck roast in a greased slow cooker (6 quart or larger).
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, half the bbq sauce on top of the roast. Don't mix.
- Cover and cook on Low heat for 8-10 hours or until roast is super tender.
- If there is too much liquid in the crockpot, you can discard half of it. Just scoop it with a ladle and toss it in the sink.
- Use two forks to shred the meat.
- Mix in remaining bbq sauce. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.