Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
Easy slow cooker creamed corn recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. A rich, creamy, cheesy side dish. Topped off with lots of bacon.
This recipe is one of the best side dishes when it comes to any get together. Need a toss and go, easy dish for Christmas, Easter, or a random BBQ? This dish will do the trick and everyone will love it. It’s always been a huge hit, just like this Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese.
How to make creamed corn in crockpot (slow cooker)?
- Place ingredients in slow cooker -This includes corn, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sugar, butter and cheese.
- Mix– Until partially combined.
- Cover and cook – Until cheese and butter is fully melted and mixture is smooth.
- Enjoy– Garnish with bacon and green onions.
What to serve with homemade creamed corn recipe?
Since this is a vegetable side dish, it goes extremely well with countless dishes. Try it with the following:
- Baked or grilled chicken
- Pulled Pork
- Pot roast (Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast and Slow Cooker Pot Roast)
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
Add other cheeses – Some great options are pepper jack, Gouda, parmesan, etc. The cheese you choose will change the flavor profile and texture. So, keep this in mind.
Add other vegetables – You can add other vegetables such as green beans, lima beans, carrots, etc. to make it mixed vegetables instead of just corn.
Add protein – If you want to make this more of a main meal, mix in cooked chicken (shredded or diced), tuna, ground beef, ground turkey, etc. All meats must be cooked.
Make it vegetarian/ vegan – Use vegan-friendly butter, milk, and cream cheese. Omit the bacon or use vegetarian bacon.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper, or some diced pickled jalapenos.
Try other sweeteners- I used granulated sugar but it can be replaced with brown sugar, honey or maple syrup.
Add other seasonings- Seasoning blends like Italian seasoning, taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, garam masala are delicious options.
Topping options- Try other fresh herbs like chives, basil, parsley, oregano e.t.c.
Refrigerate- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze– This is not recommended since the cream cheese mixture does not thaw well and can curdle.
Reheat- In the microwave or over stovetop.
Tips and Techniques
Use full fat ingredients – This is with regards to cream cheese and milk. The higher the fat content, the richer and creamier the end results.
Milk substitute- You can use almond milk, coconut milk, or any other milk of your choice.
Can I used canned corn? Yes, just be sure to drain the liquid.
Can I use fresh corn? – Yes, you’ll just want to remove kernels from the cob first.
Use low-sodium ingredients- This reduces the salt content in the recipe for a healthier option.
How to make it thicker? Add more cheese or cook uncovered until desired consistency is reached.
How to make it thinner? Add more milk. Some broth or water will work just as well.
Adjust seasoning- Add more or less garlic, salt, pepper and sugar, based on your preference.
Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- 1 package Frozen corn, 2 pound package
- 1 cup Milk, Whole
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter, Cut into small cubes
- 1 package Cream cheese, Cut into small cubes, 8 oz. package
- 1/2 cup Crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup Green onions, Thinly sliced
- In a crockpot ( 6 quart or bigger), add corn, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sugar.
- Place small cubes of butter and cream cheese on top.
- Mix everything together. It doesn't have to be properly combined.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 2-3 hours or on Low heat for 4-5 hours or until all the butter and cheese in melted.
- Remove lid and mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
- Top it off with crumbled bacon and green onions. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave, stovetop or even the slow cooker on the Warm setting.