Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
Easy slow cooker creamed corn recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. A rich, creamy, cheesy side dish. Topped off with lots of bacon.
This recipe is one of the best side dishes when it comes to any get together. Need a toss and go, easy dish for Christmas, Easter, or a random BBQ? This dish will do the trick and everyone will love it. It’s always been a huge hit, just like this Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese.
How to make creamed corn in crockpot (slow cooker)?
- Place ingredients in slow cooker – Place the butter and cheese on top, last. Do not use the bacon and green onions yet. Mix.
- Cover and cook – On high heat for 2-3 hours or low heat for 4-5 hours.
- Garnish and enjoy – Top with bacon and green onions. Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with homemade creamed corn recipe?
Since this is a vegetable side dish, it goes extremely well with countless dishes. There are few dishes I haven’t served it with. Here are a handful of suggestions!
- Baked Chicken
- Grilled Hamburgers
- Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker American Goulash
- Slow Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Add in more cheese – Some great options are pepper jack, Gouda, parmesan, etc. The cheese you choose will change the flavor profile and texture, keep this in mind.
Add other vegetables – You can add in vegetables such as green beans, lima beans, carrots, etc. to make it mixed vegetables instead of just corn.
Add protein – If you want to make this more of a main meal, add in cooked chicken, tuna, ground beef, ground turkey, etc.
Make it vegan – Use vegan-friendly butter, milk, and cream cheese. Nix the bacon.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper, or some diced pickled jalapenos.
Refrigerate- Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze– Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Reheat- In the microwave or over the stove in a boiling pot.
Tips and Techniques
How to store this dish? This dish is easy to store. Simply use airtight containers and keep it chilled. It will not keep in a pantry setting.
Use full fat cheese – This will make the dish creamier and add a more robust flavor from the added cheese.
Milk substitute- You can use almond milk, coconut milk, or similar substitutes.
Can I used canned corn? Yes, just be sure to remove most of the liquid, but not all.
Can I use fresh corn? – Yes, you’ll just want to remove it from the cob first.
Use low-sodium ingredients- This reduces the salt content in the recipe for a healthier option.
How to make it thicker? Add more cheese or cook uncovered until desired consistency is reached.
How to make it thinner? Add more milk. Some broth or water will work as well.
Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- 1 package Frozen corn, 2 pound package
- 1 cup Milk, Whole
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter, Cut into small cubes
- 1 package Cream cheese, Cut into small cubes, 8 oz. package
- 1/2 cup Crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup Green onions, Thinly sliced
- In a crockpot ( 6 quart or bigger), add corn, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sugar.
- Place small cubes of butter and cream cheese on top.
- Mix everything together. It doesn't have to be properly combined.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 2-3 hours or on Low heat for 4-5 hours or until all the butter and cheese in melted.
- Remove lid and mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
- Top it off with crumbled bacon and green onions. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave, stovetop or even the slow cooker on the Warm setting.