Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Easy slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Rich, smooth, creamy, loaded with sour cream, cheese and garlic.
Make the perfect side when you whip up this hearty dish. You can never go wrong when you add potatoes to a meal. It’s guaranteed that you’ll have satisfied, happy tummies when this recipe gets added to your dinner plans. Add your own toppings to give it a customized touch. If you love these, try out these Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potatoes!
How to make mashed potatoes in crockpot (slow cooker)?
- Add ingredients to pot – Except the sour cream, milk, cheese, and green onions.
- Cover and cook – On high for 4 hours.
- Mash the ingredients – Using a potato masher.
- Add the dairy – Stir in the milk, sour cream, and cheese.
- Garnish and serve – Sprinkle the top with green onions and cheese. Enjoy!
What to serve with mashed potatoes?
Potatoes are one of those things that can be served with countless dishes because they’re so versatile. It’s rare for a dinner to come along that I can’t serve potatoes with. However, some dishes are better than others. Below are some of my favorite dinners to serve with mashed potatoes.
- Salisbury Steak
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Seasoned Pork Chops
- Fried Chicken
- Roasted Turkey
- Oven Baked Ham
Milk substitute – Almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, and similar options can be used in place of the milk.
Use other cheeses – You don’t have to stick with cheddar. Try other cheese options such as mozzarella, fiesta blend cheese, Gouda, etc.
Add vegetables – For a heartier dish, you can add vegetables such as peas, corn, green beans, etc. to the dish once it’s finished cooking. The veggies will need to be cooked/heated before adding.
Add meat – Add protein to the dish or make it even heartier by adding cooked meat. I like adding baked or fried chicken pieces to the top like a KFC bowl.
Make it vegetarian – Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Make it spicy– Add some chopped jalapenos, fresh or pickled. You can also add some diced green chilies or red pepper flakes.
Add bacon– Bacon bits or fried and crumbled bacon always makes for a delicious topping addition.
Add more toppings – Sour cream, other cheeses, vegetables, butter, and other similar ingredients go well on the top of these potatoes. Treat them like a baked potato.
Refrigerate – Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze – Freeze in an airtight container, without toppings, for up to 2 months.
Reheat – Reheat using the microwave or small pot over the stove.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Potatoes, Peeled, cut into small 1.5 inch cubes
- 1 cup Chicken broth, Low sodium
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1/3 cup Butter, Unsalted, Diced
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2/3 cup Sour cream, Full fat
- 1/2- 3/4 cup Milk, Hot, Whole or 2%
- 1/2 cup Cheese, Combination of cheddar and parmesan cheese, Shredded
- 1-2 stalks Green onions, Thinly sliced, For garnish
- 1 tbsp Additional cheddar cheese, Shredded, For garnish
- Add the potatoes, broth, garlic, butter, salt, pepper into a 6qt (or bigger) crockpot.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 4 hours or on Low heat for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are very soft and tender.
- Use a potato masher or electric mixer to mash the potatoes.
- Add sour cream, milk, cheese and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Garnish with green onions and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and can be reheated in the microwave. You may need to add a splash of milk, if the potatoes are looking too dry.