Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Easy slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Rich, smooth, creamy, loaded with sour cream, cheese and garlic.
Make the perfect side when you whip up this hearty dish. You can never go wrong when you add potatoes to a meal. It’s guaranteed that you’ll have satisfied, happy tummies when this recipe gets added to your dinner plans. Add your own toppings to give it a customized touch. If you love this, be sure to try out these Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
How to make crockpot mashed potatoes from scratch?
- Add ingredients in crockpot – This includes potatoes, broth, garlic, butter, salt, pepper.
- Cover and cook – Until potatoes are softened.
- Mash ingredients – Use a potato masher or a large fork.
- Add dairy ingredients – This includes milk, sour cream, and cheese.
- Mix– Until combined.
- Enjoy- Sprinkle green onions and more shredded cheese on top and dig in.
What to serve with best homemade mashed potatoes recipe?
Potatoes are one of those things that can be served with countless main dishes because they’re so versatile. It’s rare for a dinner to come along that I can’t serve potatoes with. However, some dishes are better than others. Below are some of my favorite dinners to serve with mashed potatoes.
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
- Salisbury steak
- Chicken fried steak
- Roasted or grilled chicken
- Seasoned pork chops
- Fried chicken
- Roasted turkey
- Baked ham
Milk substitute – Almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, and similar options can be used in place of regular milk. You can also use half and half, heavy cream or evaporated milk.
Add other types of cheeses – You don’t have to stick with just cheddar. Consider adding other cheeses such as cream cheese, ricotta, mozzarella, fiesta blend, feta, gouda, etc.
Add vegetables – For a heartier dish, you can add vegetables such as peas, carrots, corn to the dish once it’s finished cooking. Please note that the veggies will need to be cooked before being added.
Add meat – Add protein to the dish or make it even heartier by mixing in cooked meat like shredded chicken or shredded beef.
Make it vegetarian – Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Make it spicy– Add some chopped jalapenos (fresh or pickled). You can also add some diced green chilies or red pepper flakes.
Add bacon– Bacon bits or fried and crumbled bacon always makes for a delicious topping addition.
Other topping options – Sour cream, various shredded cheeses, cooked vegetables, butter slices, crumbled bacon, shredded chicken, shredded beef, fresh herbs like parsley, green onions, chives, cilantro.
Tips and Techniques for easy creamy mashed potatoes
Use low salt ingredients- This is especially with regards butter and broth. Make sure they are unsalted and low sodium to prevent this side dish from becoming too salty.
Broth alternative– Stock can be used instead of broth. Don’t replace it with water because it doesn’t add any flavor to the overall dish.
Use full fat ingredients- This is with regards to milk and cheeses, sour cream. That’s because the higher the fat content, the more creamier and richer the end results.
Use hot milk- Because it also allows everything to blend together more smoothly.
Adjust amount of garlic and cheeses- Add more or less, based on your preference.
Sour cream substitute– Full fat Greek yogurt works very well.
What are the best potatoes for mashed potatoes? Yukon gold are the best, hands down!
Should I cut potatoes before boiling for mashed potatoes? Yes, because it allows them to cook faster. Make sure they are all around the same size.
Refrigerate – Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Freeze – Freeze in an airtight container, without toppings, for up to 2 months.
Reheat – Reheat in the microwave.
Make ahead instructions– Make these a day in advance and heat them on the warm setting on the day you are serving.
More Slow Cooker Vegetarian Sides
Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Potatoes, Peeled, cut into small 1.5 inch cubes
- 1 cup Chicken broth, Low sodium
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1/3 cup Butter, Unsalted, Diced
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2/3 cup Sour cream, Full fat
- 1/2- 3/4 cup Milk, Hot, Whole or 2%
- 1/2 cup Cheese, Combination of cheddar and parmesan cheese, Shredded
- 1-2 stalks Green onions, Thinly sliced, For garnish
- 1 tbsp Additional cheddar cheese, Shredded, For garnish
- Add the potatoes, broth, garlic, butter, salt, pepper into a 6qt (or bigger) crockpot.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 4 hours or on Low heat for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are very soft and tender.
- Use a potato masher or electric mixer to mash the potatoes.
- Add sour cream, milk, cheese and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Garnish with green onions and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and can be reheated in the microwave. You may need to add a splash of milk, if the potatoes are looking too dry.