Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
Easy slow cooker sausage and peppers recipe, homemade with simple ingredient, lots of Italian herbs, marinara sauce. Great in pasta, sandwiches, wraps and hoagie rolls.
Today’s recipe is delicious and hearty just like this Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast. It’s one of those comfort dishes that’s easy to toss together, but tastes like it took a lot more effort.
How to make slow cooker sausage and peppers?
- Add ingredients in slow cooker – This includes sausage, veggies, seasonings, marinara sauce. Mix.
- Cover and cook – Until veggies are tender and sausage is cooked through.
- Slice sausages – Remove sausages from the crockpot and slice them. Then, stir them back into the mixture.
- Enjoy – Garnish with parsley and dig in!
Whats sides to serve with Italian sausage and peppers recipe?
This hearty dish can be enjoyed on its own but you can also enjoy it with a salad. A simple green salad without an overpowering dressing is best. Coleslaw also pairs very well.
You can also serve it alongside bread like breadsticks, dinner rolls, crusty artisan bread, pita bread, garlic bread or hot dog buns. Use it as a filling in sandwiches, tortilla rolls and wraps.
Enjoy it with vegetables like mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
You can even use it in stuffed peppers or stuffed potatoes.
My family really likes it with pasta. Any type will work fine. A healthier alternatives to that would zoodles (zucchini noddles) and spaghetti squash.
Try it with soup. It tastes delicious with creamy soups.
Some other filling sides are quinoa and rice.
Variations for sausage peppers and onions
Sausage and peppers pasta – Mix in boiled pasta at the end.
Sausage peppers and potatoes – Potatoes pair well with just about every dish. If you want to add in some potatoes, simply slice up about a pound of waxy potatoes and add them in with the rest of the ingredients.
Add chicken – Simply slice up 1 pound boneless chicken breast cubes and add it along with the other ingredients.
Make it spicy – Add some jalapenos or other hotter peppers or red chili flakes for a nice spicy kick. You can also drizzle the finished dish with hot sauce.
Add more veggies – Add other vegetables you like such as eggplant, squash, zucchini, potatoes, mushrooms etc.
Mix up the seasoning – Instead of Italian seasoning, you could use Mexican or even Cajun seasoning for a different flavor profile.
Refrigerate– In an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze – In a sealed container for up to 1 month.
Reheat – In the microwave or stovetop until heated through.
Tips and Techniques
Store-bought vs. Homemade Italian Seasoning – Either can be used. It does not affect the overall flavor whichever one you use.
Mix up the peppers – I like using a combination of colored peppers, but you can use any pepper of your choice.
Use fresh peppers – Avoid using frozen peppers or veggies as they release a lot water when they go through the cooking process. Plus, they lack the flavor needed for this dish.
How to thicken sauce/ gravy? The best way to thicken this dish is to let it cook longer. Sometimes, letting it cool will also thicken it. If you want it very thick, just cook off excess liquid on stovetop.
How to thin out the sauce/ gravy? Simply add some extra broth or water until the desired consistency has been reached.
Cut the peppers and onions thick – If you cut the onions and peppers too thin, they will simply dissolve into the sauce and not be a very prominent part of the dish like they should be.
Adjust quantity of Italian seasoning– Use more or less, based on your preference.
More Slow Cooker Meals
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- 2 pounds Italian sausage links, About 8-10 sausages
- 1 Green pepper, Thinly sliced
- 1 Red pepper, Thinly sliced
- 1 Yellow pepper, Thinly sliced
- 1 Onion, Large, Thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- 2 cups Marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp Parsley , Fresh, Roughly chopped
- Add the Sausage, peppers, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes (optional), marinara sauce in a slow cooker.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 3-4 hours or or on Low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Remove sausages, cut them into thick slices and mix them back in the crockpot.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.