Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
Easy slow cooker glazed carrots recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with baby carrots, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and garnished with pecans. A classic Thanksgiving side dish!
This is one of the easiest side dishes ever, especially for Thanksgiving! Take some work off your plate and add these cooked carrots and my Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes to your holiday menu.
This dish goes by many names such as “caramelized carrots,” brown sugar carrots, and “sweet carrots.” Whatever you call them, they’re delicious and pair well with numerous many dishes.
How to make honey glazed carrots from scratch in slow cooker?
- Add ingredients in crockpot– This includes baby carrots, butter, salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon powder, brown sugar.
- Mix- Until combined.
- Cover and cook – Until carrots are tender.
- Enjoy – Garnish with extra brown sugar and dig in.
What to serve with maple glazed carrots?
Serve it with grilled or baked chicken, Thanksgiving turkey, ham, pork chops, steak.
It also pairs well with Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast.
Variations for Candied Carrots
Topping options – Mini marshmallows, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, brown sugar, fresh herbs, raisins, dried cranberries, etc.
Add alcohol – Such as bourbon, spiced rum, whiskey, or other similar options to make them slightly boozy.
Other sweetener options – Try granulated sugar, brown sugar, date paste, stevia, honey, agave, powdered sugar, maple syrup, molasses. The overall taste will vary, based on your sweetener choice.
Use zests- Lemon, orange, and lime are great options for added flavor.
Add dried fruit – Add in dried cranberries, raisins, dried mangoes before cooking or use them as a topping.
Make it vegan – Use vegan butter in place of normal butter.
Add garlic or onions – This will give them even more flavor and pair well with the sweet flavors.
Use balsamic sauce– A small amount goes a long way and adds a subtle sweetness and tanginess.
Refrigerate – In an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Freeze – I don’t recommend freezing these carrots since they don’t thaw well and become too soft.
Tips and Techniques
Garnish just before serving – Don’t add your extra toppings until you’re ready to serve these carrots because that will cause the nuts to lose their crunch.
Can I use large carrots instead of baby carrots? – You can definitely use larger carrots. You’ll just have to peel and chop them to be smaller in size. This may cause the cook time to be adjusted.
Thicken sauce – Leave the lid off the crockpot and let some of the liquid cook off, if desired. You can also cook over stovetop and reduce excess liquid.
Leave out the nuts – You don’t have to include the nuts in this recipe as they’re not a “make or break” ingredient.
Adjust amount of seasoning- Add more or less, per your preference.
Butter substitute- Coconut oil is a great alternative although it adds a subtle coconut flavor.
Fresh carrots vs. Canned carrots– You must use fresh carrots (preferably baby carrots) since canned carrots are already cooked and too soft and will not yield good results.
Remember to stir everything halfway through– This is important because it allows even cooking.
More Slow Cooker Side Dishes
Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
- 2 pounds Baby carrots
- 1/3 cup Butter, Unsalted, Melted
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/4 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar, Can use a combination of 1 tbsp maple syrup and 3 tbsp brown sugar OR use 1/4 cup maple syrup only
- 1/3 cup Nuts, Such as pecans or walnuts, Roughly chopped, For garnish
- Add baby carrots in a crockpot (6 quart or larger).
- Pour melted butter.
- Add salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon powder, brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on Low heat for 5-6 hours or on High heat for 3-4 hours until carrots are tender.
- Mix everything halfway through.
- Garnish with additional brown sugar and nuts. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.