Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Easy slow cooker mashed sweet potatoes recipe for Thanksgiving, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with cinnamon and maple syrup. Rich, smooth, creamy. Also known as “sweet potato mash recipe.”
If you love Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, it’s almost guaranteed you’re going to love this recipe too. It’s great as a side dish all year round or perfect to pull out for holiday dinners like Thanksgiving.
How to make mashed sweet potatoes in slow cooker (crockpot)?
- Add potatoes and apple juice in slow cooker– This should be a 6 quart or larger size.
- Add butter– Cut them into thin slices.
- Cover and cook – Until potatoes are tender.
- Add flavorings and seasonings- This includes heavy cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Mash everything – Use a potato masher or mixer.
- Enjoy– Garnish with cinnamon powder, butter and enjoy!
What to serve with mashed sweet potatoes recipe?
This is considered to be a filling side dish and can be served with anything you would normally serve with mashed potatoes.
It tastes great with proteins such as grilled, baked or fried chicken, steak, turkey, pork chops, ham and seafood like salmon.
You can also serve it as a casserole with marshmallow topping or pecan brown sugar topping.
Sweet potato and carrot mash – Add some carrots for a slightly different flavor profile.
Add meat – You can always add meat to this dish to get in more protein. Shredded turkey and chicken are my top two choices.
Make it healthier and vegan – Use full fat coconut cream in place of the heavy cream. Use vegan butter or coconut oil in place of the butter.
Savory mashed sweet potatoes- Add garlic and fresh/ dried herbs.
Add toppings – Such as brown sugar, mini marshmallows, butter, ground cinnamon or nutmeg, chopped pecans, walnuts and/or fresh herbs.
Use roasted sweet potatoes – Skip the boiling and roast the potatoes in the oven instead. Follow the other steps as normal.
Add a brown sugar and pecan topping– Reduce quantity of maple syrup to just 1-2 tbsp. Then, in the final 20 minutes after the potatoes have been mashed, add brown sugar and pecans on top. Cover and cook until brown sugar starts melting.
Use other sweeteners- I used maple syrup but you can use honey, agave syrup, brown sugar or even granulated sugar.
Refrigerate – In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze – In a sealed container for up to 2 months. When you are ready to enjoy it, simply heat it in the microwave or let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Reheat – In the microwave or stovetop.
Tips and techniques
Heavy cream substitute – You can use half and half, whole milk or full fat coconut milk. The flavor will change slightly based on your substitution.
Apple juice substitute – If desired, you can use water, vegetable or chicken stock or broth. You can also use other flavors of juices. Just note that the flavor profile will change with the juice choice.
Cut potatoes small – Because this allows them to cook faster.
How to thicken mashed potatoes? Cook uncovered on Low heat to reduce excess liquid.
How to make it thinner? Mix in some broth, juice, water, whole milk or heavy cream.
Adjust spices– Although the spices take this recipe to another level, the spices are only a suggested amount. You can use more, less, or none, based on your preference.
Use unsalted butter and low sodium broth (if using)– Because this prevents the dish from becoming too salty.
More Slow Cooker Side Dishes
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 Sweet potatoes, Medium sized, Peeled and diced to 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Apple juice, Unsweetened, Or you can use water or low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Butter, Unsalted, Sliced
- 1/3 cup Maple syrup, Or Honey or Agave Syrup
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2-1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder
- In a crockpot (6 quart of larger), add sweet potatoes, apple juice and mix.
- Top it off with butter slices.
- Cook on High heat for 4 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Turn off heat and add add maple syrup, heavy cream, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder.
- Use an electric mixer or potato masher to mash everything until smooth.
- Garnish with additional cinnamon powder or butter slices and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.