Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
Classic, old fashioned, easy slow cooker green bean casserole recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Super rich and creamy. Loaded with cream of mushroom soup and crispy fried onions.
Also known as string bean casserole, green bean bake, or Thanksgiving casserole, this is a classic dish everyone loves. Just like Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes or Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potatoes. Make your holiday complete when you add this recipe to the list!
How to make easy crockpot green bean casserole from scratch?
- Place ingredients in crockpot – Leave half of the fried onions out of the pot. Mix well.
- Cover and cook – On low for 5 hours.
- Serve – Top with remaining onions and enjoy!
What sides to serve with best green bean casserole recipe?
Since this recipe is actually a side itself, it’s best paired with a main dish. some of my favorites are roasted turkey, rump roast, pork chops, or even some Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup.
There are other sides that pair well with this dish as well. Any classis holiday sides such as Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots, Slow Cooker Creamed Corn, or Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes would work great!
Healthy/Vegan green bean casserole – Make your own cream of mushroom soup out of flour, almond milk, mushrooms, and spices to make this vegan-friendly. There are also vegan-friendly pre-made cream of mushroom soups on the market.
Casserole without condensed soup – Use sour cream in place of the soup.
Cheesy green bean casserole – About 20 minutes before serving time, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the casserole and cover it again. You can use any cheese you prefer, although cheddar is the more popular choice.
Chicken green bean casserole – Instead of using cream of mushroom soup, use cream of chicken soup instead.
Use normal green beans – Swap out the French style green beans for normal cut green beans.
Refrigerate – In an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze – In an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Reheat – In the microwave or in the oven.
Tips and Techniques
What can I substitute for French fried onions? – Crushed crackers, breadcrumbs, croutons, etc. are all great choices. You can always nix them altogether and not replace them.
Canned beans vs fresh beans vs frozen beans – Frozen green beans will add more water to the mixture, so you’ll have to counteract that. Drain canned beans before use and fresh beans will turn out crisper than the other two choices.
Cook on high – Cut the time in half.
Make it sweeter – Add a tablespoon of brown sugar for a lightly sweet twinge.
Great for making in advance – Make a day in advance, then toss back in the crockpot on keep warm when dinner time arrives.
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- 4 cans French style green beans, 14.5 oz. cans each, Drained, Rinsed
- 2 cans Cream of mushroom soup, 10.5 oz. cans each
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2 cups Crispy fried onions, I used French's brand
- In a slow cooker (6 quart or larger), add green beans, cream of mushroom soup, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup fried onions.
- Mix until combined
- Cover and cook on Low heat for 5 hours.
- Prior to serving, sprinkle the remaining fried onions.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately because the crispy onions will become soggy over time. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.