Slow Cooker Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
Easy cheesy crockpot hashbrown casserole recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with shredded potatoes, sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese. Also known as shredded potato casserole.
This casserole is a hit any time of day! Serve it for breakfast or brunch but with my family, it’s also very popular around Thanksgiving. While we’re talking about Thanksgiving meals, this Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole will also make a great addition to the feast.
How To Make Crockpot Hashbrown Casserole From Scratch?
- Add ingredients in slow cooker- This includes hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper.
- Mix- Until combined.
- Spread out mixture- As evenly as possible, using a spatula.
- Cover and cook– On low heat.
- Add cheese- Remove lid and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Broil- Until cheese is melted.
- Enjoy– Garnish with fresh parsley and dig in.
What To Serve With Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe?
This casserole makes a perfect addition to your breakfast or brunch table. Serve it with egg casseroles, frittatas, breakfast burritos, omelets, sausage, bacon, or any other protein-based dish.
Thanksgiving dinner is also the perfect place for this side. Serve it with your holiday turkey, ham, chicken, steak or pork loin.
A simple salad would balance out this casserole perfectly too.
Also, this may sound like a weird combination but it’s delicious alongside Slow Cooker Pot Roast.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze– I don’t recommend freezing leftovers since dairy is used in this recipe which has a tendency to separate as it thaws.
Variations For Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes
Add cornflakes topping– Mix cornflakes, butter and cheddar cheese and top the casserole before broiling.
Make without soup– Simply omit the soup, and use the remaining ingredients. Feel free to add more sour cream or cream cheese in place of the soup, if you like.
Hamburger casserole– Add cooked hamburger meat/ ground beef for a heartier version.
Breakfast casserole– Add cooked crumbled pork sausage or ham.
Add chicken– Add cooked chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken for a more filling dish.
Add bacon– Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top at the end.
Use full-fat Greek yogurt– This is a good substitute for sour cream.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes.
Make it Mexican– Add a can of green chilis, Mexican seasoning, and top with roasted corn or salsa.
Add vegetables– Add diced onions, bell peppers, or your favorite mushrooms.
Garnish options– Try herbs such as parsley, chives, or dill or crumbled bacon or more shredded cheese.
Tips And Techniques For Cheesy Hash browns/Cheesy Hashbrowns
Use freshly shredded cheese– Because the packaged shredded cheeses have coatings and additives which make the casserole grainy.
Should I thaw frozen hash browns before cooking? Yes, thaw and pat dry them dry, if they are frozen because this prevents the dish from becoming too soggy and wet.
How do you thaw frozen hash browns before cooking? Let bag of potatoes thaw at room temperature, or run hot water over the bag of frozen potatoes until thawed. Either method will work.
Why are my hashbrowns soggy? If your potatoes were not thawed, or weren’t patted dry to remove some of the moisture from them, then the end result will obviously be soggy. To avoid this, make sure to thaw and pat them dry with a paper towel or cheesecloth.
Can I substitute shredded potatoes for frozen hash browns? Yes, you can use shredded potatoes without any issues.
Use full-fat ingredients– Because this provides the best and richest flavor.
How to get a crispy cheesy top– Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and broil without lid for 3-5 minutes until cheese is fully melted.
You cannot broil with crockpot lid– The lid has to removed or else it will burn.
Spread out potato mixture evenly- Because this allows even cooking.
Adjust seasoning– Add more or less according to your preference.
Grease crockpot– Spray with oil or use butter because this will prevent the casserole from sticking and burning.
More Slow Cooker Potato Recipes
Slow Cooker Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- 2 bags Shredded hash browns, 20 oz. package each, Thawed, Patted dry with paper towel
- 1 can Condensed cream of mushroom soup, 10.5 oz. can
- 1 cup Sour cream, Full fat
- 1 cup Cream cheese, Full fat
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, Shredded, Divided
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- Spray a slow cooker (6 quart or larger) with oil.
- Add hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cream cheese, half the cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and mix until combined.
- Spread out the mixture evenly in the crockpot with a spatula.
- Cover and cook on Low heat for 3 hours until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and broil without lid for 3-5 minutes until cheese is fully melted. Instead of broiling, you can cover and continue to cook on Low heat for an additional 20-30 minutes until cheese on top is melted.
- Garnish with some fresh parsley, if you like. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.