Slow Cooker Roast Beef
The best, tender, melt in your mouth, easy, perfect slow cooker roast beef recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. It can be thinly sliced for sandwiches. Loaded with garlic, Italian herbs and black pepper.
This is the easiest and best beef you will ever make! The slow cooker makes this meal a game changer during the busy holiday season. It makes an elegant meal accessible on a weeknight too! This Slow Cooker Pot Roast is another easy and hearty meal that feeds a crowd.
How to make roast beef recipe from scratch in slow cooker?
- Season chuck roast– With salt, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes.
- Sear meat- Until golden brown.
- Transfer to crockpot– Cover and cook.
- Remove roast from slow cooker– And place it on a cutting board or serving dish.
- Let meat rest- For 20 minutes.
- Enjoy– Cut slices and dig in!
Roast Beef Gravy
The easiest way to make it is to take the drippings from the roast after it is cooked, and simply add a cornstarch slurry and cook it over medium heat to thicken it. You can also enjoy any of these other gravy recipes too:
What To Serve with Slow Cooker Roast Beef?
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze roast beef? Yes. Once it’s cooked and has cooled down, store it in the freezer in a sealed container for 2-3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then heat in the oven.
Reheat– Thaw, if frozen, and then reheat in the oven. It will become “more done” when you reheat it. You can also reheat in the microwave.
Add wine– Mix a little red wine while cooking for a deeper flavor.
What to do with leftovers? Enjoy them as a pizza topping, add-ins for salads, soups, or hash. They are also a great filling in sandwiches, burgers, sliders, wraps, or tacos.
Add balsamic vinegar- This will add flavor and help tenderize the beef too.
Try other herbs– Such as basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, or fennel. Fresh or dried herbs can be used.
Make it spicy– Add more red chili flakes or cayenne pepper to increase the heat factor.
Add vegetables- Such as onions, potatoes, carrots, celery. They add a lot of flavor and aroma.
Tips And Techniques
What is a good cut of meat for roast beef? I use a chuck roast, but you can use bottom round roast, top round roast, ribeye roast, beef tenderloin roast, or sirloin roast.
How long should you roast beef (roast beef cooking time)? Cook on Low heat for 90 minutes. The timing may vary on the brand of your crockpot. The best thing to do is to set an alarm on your meat thermometer and wait till it beeps at the correct temperature of doneness. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer. For medium rare, it should read 135 degrees and for medium, it should real 140 degrees. I prefer medium doneness.
Why is my beef tough? It’s probably over-cooked. Typically, cooking the meat any higher than 145 degrees (medium doneness) will start making the beef tough and chewy.
Why do you sear beef? Some people like to do this for the crusty top. It’s optional but highly recommended.
Do you cook with the fat side up or down? Cook with the fat side up allowing the fat to melt and run down, into, and around the beef giving it maximum flavor and tenderness.
Don’t trim fat– It drips down during slow cooking and adds extra flavor and juices. Plus, it keeps the meat super moist.
Letting the meat rest is very important– That’s because it allows the juices to get re-absorbed into the meat making it very flavorful and juicy.
Adjust amount of seasoning- Add more or less Italian seasoning and garlic, based on your preference.
Use a meat thermometer- That is the only way to find out the exact temperature of the meat, and allows you to remove meat from the slow cooker at your preferred “doneness.”
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- 4.5-5 pounds Chuck roast
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper , To taste
- 3 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- 1 tbsp Butter, Melted
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Season the chuck roast with the salt, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes.
- Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Sear the meat on each side until lightly browned.
- Transfer roast and drippings to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low heat for 90 minutes. The timing may vary on the brand of your crockpot. The best thing to do is to set an alarm on your meat thermometer and wait till it beeps at the correct temperature of doneness.
- Check the temperature with a meat thermometer. For medium rare, it should read 135 degrees F and for medium, it should read 140 degrees F. I prefer medium doneness.
- Remove roast from crockpot and place it on a cutting board or serving dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil paper.
- Let the meat rest 20 minutes.
- Then, use a sharp knife to cut slices. Be sure to cut against the grain of the meat for very thin slices, which are great for sandwiches. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.