Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
Easy slow cooker cabbage soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with shredded cabbage (coleslaw), veggies, tomatoes, Italian herbs.
This is the most flavorful and nutritious soup! It tastes so warm and comforting on these cold winter evenings. I love the smell of soup cooking all afternoon in the house too. It creates so much anticipation, and brings so much joy to not actually have to cook during the dinner hour. Thank goodness for slow cookers! This Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is another favorite in our house so make sure to give it a try.
How To Make Best Old Fashioned Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup Recipe From Scratch?
- Add ingredients– In a large crockpot, add cabbage, onion, garlic, celery, Italian seasoning, chili powder, salt, pepper, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, bay leaf.
- Mix– until combined.
- Cover and cook– High heat for 3 hours or on Low heat for 5 hours.
- Mix in Vegetables– In the final 20 minutes, mix in frozen vegetables.
- Finish soup– Turn off heat. Mix in some lemon juice. Discard bay leaf.
- Enjoy!– Garnish with fresh parsley.
What Sides to Serve With Crockpot Weight Loss Soup (Detox Fat Burning Soup)?
Anything you can dip into the soup will be delicious. Try any of the following breads:
- Garlic bread
- Dinner Rolls
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Crusty artisan bread
To make this meal very hearty and filling serve it with a pasta dish such as:
- Slow Cooker Pasta
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Slow Cooker Mac And Cheese
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pesto Pasta
A side of potatoes would also pair well. Make sure to try any of these:
Cabbage roll soup/Unstuffed cabbage soup/Beef cabbage soup/ Hamburger cabbage soup– This typically has meat such as ground beef, hamburger, rice, and flavors of smoked paprika.
Red cabbage soup– Use red cabbage in addition or in place of green coleslaw or cabbage.
Ham and cabbage soup– Add leftover Slow Cooker Ham for a protein filled soup.
Chicken cabbage soup– Add leftover chicken from a previous meal or rotisserie. Shred it, slice it or dice it.
Chinese cabbage soup– This has sweet and sour flavors
Cabbage soup with sausage– Add pork sausage or mild or even spicy Italian sausage for a protein packed soup.
Add potatoes– White or sweet potatoes would make for heartier soup. You can use cubed or shredded if you like.
Add spinach– Greens add flavor and nutrition.
Add beans– Beans such as black, red, white, or garbanzo beans would all work well in this soup.
Make it hearty– Mix in pasta, couscous, quinoa, or rice. It should be pre-cooked. Please note that the soup will get thicker as the grains absorb all the broth. Additional broth can be added to thin it out again.
Make it creamy– Add heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk for a dairy free version. Please note that coconut milk will add a distinct flavor.
Give it a spicy kick– Add crushed red chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
Try other seasonings- Such as Mexican, Cajun, or Indian blends for a different flavor profile.
Tips And Techniques
This is different than cabbage roll soup– This soup does not contain rice or ground beef like cabbage roll soup. It is a much lighter and lower calorie option.
How to make soup thicker? Continue cooking the soup in the slow cooker without the lid until the liquid is reduced to your desired thickness.
How to make soup thinner? Add more broth or water.
Use low sodium ingredients- This prevents the meal from becoming too salty. Especially with regards to the butter and broth.
What kind of cabbage to use? I use a small sized green cabbage or a bag of shredded coleslaw mix instead. You could also use red cabbage if you prefer.
What kind of vegetables to use? I use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables that contains carrots, green beans, peas, and corn, but you can use whatever you prefer.
Don’t drain the stewed tomatoes– You can add the tomatoes and liquid into the soup because it all adds a lot of flavor.
Lemon juice vs. lime juice– Lemon tastes much better in this soup.
Adjust seasoning– Add more or less based on your personal preference.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– Cool completely, then pour into a freezer safe bag or container for up to 2 months.
Reheat– From thawed, in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Meatball Soup
- Slow Cooker Brown Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- 3-4 cups Cabbage, Can be roughly chopped or use coleslaw mix
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 2 stalks Celery, Diced
- 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning, Adjust according to your taste
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 can Stewed tomatoes , 14.5 oz. can
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 6 cups Broth, Vegetable or chicken, Low sodium
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 cup Frozen vegetables, Combination of green beans, carrots, peas, corn
- 1-2 tsp Lemon juice, Freshly squeezed, Adjust according to your taste
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Roughly chopped, For garnish
- In a large crockpot (6 quart or larger), add cabbage, onion, garlic, celery, Italian seasoning, chili powder, salt, pepper, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, bay leaf.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on High heat for about 3 hours or on Low heat for about 5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In the final 20 minutes, mix in frozen vegetables.
- Turn off heat and mix in some lemon juice.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.