Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
The best, old fashioned, hearty, easy slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with shredded chicken, veggies, dried herbs, egg noodles.
During the cold season, this soup will be a lifesaver. It is full of nutritious broth, vegetables, and herbs that will help keep you healthy and feeling cozy and comforted! Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup and Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup should also be added to your list of comforting soups.
How To Make Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe From Scratch in Slow Cooker?
- Add ingredients in crockpot – This includes chicken breast, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, ginger, oil, broth, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage into the slow cooker.
- Mix– Until combined.
- Cover and cook– On low heat.
- Shred the chicken– With 2 forks.
- Add noodles– Egg noodles are a classic choice.
- Cover and cook– On high heat.
- Enjoy- Stir in lemon juice and garnish with green onions.
What Sides to Serve with Easy Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup?
This soup is hearty enough to serve on its own, but if you want to make this meal even more filling, here are some sides to add:
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic bread
- Crusty bread like Ciabatta for dipping
Can You Put Raw Chicken in Soup to Cook?
Yes, you can do this. It will fully cook on low heat in 6-7 hours or on high heat in 3-4 hours.
What Can I Add To My Chicken Noodle Soup For Flavor?
You can add more seasoning such as Italian seasoning, turmeric, fresh herbs, or a cube of low-sodium chicken bouillon.
Creamy chicken noodle soup– Add heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk, (for a dairy free option) near the end. Please note that coconut milk will alter the flavor.
Asian/Chinese noodle soup– Add 1 can of coconut milk, chili paste, garlic, kale, red peppers, and a little curry powder.
Rotisserie chicken noodle soup– Use a rotisserie chicken for time convenience. It should be added near the end.
Make it vegetarian– Leave out the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Also, add tofu cubes or mushrooms near the end for more heartiness.
Add more veggies– Such as a small bag of frozen mixed veggies or fresh broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, or kale.
Use leftover chicken– This could be from a previous meal. Just shred it or dice it, and add towards the end of cooking.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Make it Mexican– Add black beans and fire roasted jalapenos. Top with avocado and Monterey jack cheese, prior to serving.
Add rice- Mix in cooked rice (either white or brown) in place of the egg noodles.
Tips And Techniques
How to thicken soup? Allow the soup to sit for a few minutes and the egg noodles will soak up a lot of the liquid. Another option is to continue cooking uncovered till the liquid evaporates to your desired consistency. You can also cook it on the stovetop to reduce excess liquid quickly.
How to make soup thinner? Simply add more broth or water.
What pasta or noodles to use? I use 2 cups of dry, wide egg noodles for this recipe, but you can use whatever noodles or pasta you prefer.
Use low sodium ingredients– This prevent this meal from becoming too salty.
Adjust amount of seasonings- Add more or less seasoning, based on your preference.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing this soup because the egg noodles will disintegrate when thawed.
Reheat– On the stovetop or in the microwave. You will need to add more broth because the egg noodles will absorb a lot of the liquid.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Brown Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Meatball Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1.5 pound Chicken breast , Boneless
- 1.5 cups Carrots, Peeled and Sliced into small circles
- 1 cup Onions, Finely chopped
- 1 cup Celery , Sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder, Or freshly grated ginger
- 1.5 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 cups Chicken broth, Low sodium
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp Dried sage
- 2 cups Egg noodles, Dry, Uncooked, Wide
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice, Freshly squeezed
- 2-3 tbsp Green onions, Thinly sliced, Can be replaced with cilantro or parsley
- Place the chicken breast in a slow cooker.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, ginger, oil, broth, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with 2 forks.
- Return shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Also, add egg noodles.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and garnish with green onions or parsley or cilantro and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Additional broth will need to be added when reheating because the pasta absorbs a lot of broth.