Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
The best, old fashioned, hearty, easy slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with shredded chicken, veggies, dried herbs, egg noodles.
During cold and flu season, this soup will be a lifesaver. It is full of nutritious broth, vegetables, and herbs that will help keep you healthy and feeling cozy and comforted! Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup and Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup will also need to be added to your list of comforting soups.
How To Make Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe From Scratch in Slow Cooker?
- Add Ingredients – Add chicken breast, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, ginger, oil, broth, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook– On low heat.
- Shred the chicken– Remove and shred it with 2 forks. Return shredded chicken into the slow cooker.
- Add egg noodles.
- Cover and cook– On high heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice– Garnish with green onions or parsley or cilantro and enjoy.
What Sides to Serve with Easy Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup?
This soup is hearty enough to serve on its own, but if you want to make this meal even more filling, here are some ideas to add:
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic bread
- Crusty bread like Ciabatta for dipping
Can You Put Raw Chicken in Soup to Cook?
Yes, You can put raw chicken into the slow cooker. It will fully cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
What Can I Add To My Chicken Noodle Soup For Flavor?
You can add more seasoning such as Italian seasoning, turmeric, fresh herbs, or a cube of low-sodium chicken bouillon.
Creamy chicken noodle soup– Add heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk, for a dairy free option, at the end.
Asian/Chinese chicken noodle soup– Add 1 can of coconut milk, chili paste, garlic, kale, red peppers, and a little curry powder.
Rotisserie chicken noodle soup– Use a rotisserie chicken if you do not like dealing with raw meat, or want to save some cooking time on the soup.
Make it vegetarian– Leave out the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Add more veggies– Such as a bag of frozen mixed veggies or fresh broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, or kale.
Use leftover chicken– This could be from a previous meal. Just shred it or dice it, and add towards the end of cooking.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Make it Mexican– Add black beans and fire roasted jalapenos. Top with avocado and Monterey jack cheese, prior to serving.
Slow cooker chicken rice soup– Use cooked rice either white or brown, in place of the egg noodles.
Tips And Techniques
How to thicken soup? Allow the soup to sit and the egg noodles will soak up the liquid, or continue cooking uncovered till the liquid evaporates to your desired consistency. You can also cook it on the stovetop to reduce excess liquid quickly.
How to make soup thinner? Simply add more broth or water.
What pasta or noodles to use? I use 2 cups of dry, wide egg noodles for this recipe, but you can use whatever noodles or pasta you prefer.
Use low sodium ingredients– This prevent this meal from becoming too salty.
Adjust amount of seasonings- Add more or less seasoning, based on your preference.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing this soup because the egg noodles will not hold up when thawed.
Reheat– Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. You will need to add more broth because the egg noodles will absorb a lot of the liquid.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Brown Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Meatball Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1.5 pound Chicken breast , Boneless
- 1.5 cups Carrots, Peeled and Sliced into small circles
- 1 cup Onions, Finely chopped
- 1 cup Celery , Sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder, Or freshly grated ginger
- 1.5 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 cups Chicken broth, Low sodium
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp Dried sage
- 2 cups Egg noodles, Dry, Uncooked, Wide
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice, Freshly squeezed
- 2-3 tbsp Green onions, Thinly sliced, Can be replaced with cilantro or parsley
- Place the chicken breast in a slow cooker.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, ginger, oil, broth, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with 2 forks.
- Return shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Also, add egg noodles.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and garnish with green onions or parsley or cilantro and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Additional broth will need to be added when reheating because the pasta absorbs a lot of broth.