Slow Cooker Carrot Soup
Easy, silky smooth, creamy slow cooker carrot soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Flavored with ginger, garlic, thyme, paprika.
Why is it that healthy and delicious don’t typically go together? Well, now it can! You can feel good about what you are feeding your family and you don’t have to slave over the stove for hours! I don’t know about you, but I think that’s a major win. For more great recipes like this one, be sure to try this Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup and Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup.
How to make slow cooker carrot soup recipe from scratch?
- Sauté ingredients- This includes onion, carrots, celery, ginger, garlic.
- Transfer mixture– To crockpot.
- Add other ingredients- This includes salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, broth.
- Cover-And cook.
- Puree– With immersion blender.
- Add heavy cream– And mix until combined.
- Add garnishes– And enjoy.
What to serve with creamy carrot ginger soup?
Although this soup can be served alone as a light dinner, it also goes great with different sides.
- Baked or grilled chicken
- Whole rotisserie chicken
- Spatchcock chicken
- Slow Cooker Tandoori Chicken
Of course, many great soups are great with a hearty bread option for dipping:
- Garlic breadsticks
- Crusty artisan bread
- Cheesy breadsticks
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Dinner rolls
Variations for cream of carrot soup
Roasted carrot soup– Roast the carrots first and then, add them to the crockpot for added flavor.
Carrot orange soup– Carrots have a higher sugar content than most vegetables, which makes it a great pair with oranges. Add in some orange juice and zest, according to your taste, after you blend the other ingredients.
Vegan/ vegetarian soup– Use vegetable broth and substitute cream such as coconut milk.
Curry soup– Add a dash of curry powder. It’s a strong flavor. So, watch the quantity.
Spicy soup- Add in red chili flakes, cayenne, or hot sauce.
Add lentils- Mix in some boiled lentils at the end before pureeing.
Add apples- Choose your favorite type of apple and add it in with the vegetables. Believe it or not, this can add some great flavor!
Add other squash or vegetables– Such as sweet potatoes or regular potatoes, pumpkin, parsnip, leeks, broccoli, butternut squash, cauliflower.
Tips and techniques
How to thicken crockpot soup? You can mix in a cornstarch slurry, allow the soup to simmer uncovered to evaporate some of the excess liquid. Another option is to mix in more heavy cream or cream cheese.
Control the amount of broth– Start will 4 cups and add more to thin it to your preference at the end.
How to make soup thinner? Simply add more liquid, such as broth or water.
Control the saltiness– Use low sodium broth and unsalted butter so that your soup isn’t too salty.
Heavy cream vs. Coconut milk– Either can be used, but be aware that the coconut milk will add a distinct flavor. If using coconut milk, be sure it is full fat so that the soup is more creamy.
Sautéing step is highly recommended– This step in the beginning is optional, but it definitely adds more flavor. However, it can be skipped if you are short on time.
Refrigerate – In an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze – Do not mix in cream if you are planning to store this in the freezer. Store in a sealed container for up to 1 month, then reheat on stovetop and add cream.
Make ahead instructions – Prepare the soup recipe up to 3 days in advance, store in an airtight container in the fridge, then reheat on stovetop.
More slow cooker soup recipes
- Slow Cooker Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Slow Cooker Brown Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Carrot Soup
- 1 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 2 pounds Carrots, Peeled, Diced
- 1/4 cup Celery, Diced
- 1 tsp Ginger, Freshly grated
- 3 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 4-5 cups Broth, Chicken or vegetable, Low sodium
- 1/2-3/4 cup Heavy cream, Or full fat coconut milk
- Add onion, carrots, celery and sauté for a few minutes minutes until onions are tender.
- Add ginger, garlic and saute for 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Transfer this mixture to a large crockpot (6 quart or larger).
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, broth and mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 3-4 hours or on Low heat for 6-7 hours until vegetables are soft and tender.
- Use a hand-held immersion blender to puree soup until smooth.
- Mix in heavy cream until evenly combined.
- Garnish with swirls of additional heavy cream or dollop of sour cream or roughly chopped parsley or a sprinkle of paprika. Enjoy!
- If you are short on time, skip the sautéing step and add all the ingredients in a crockpot. Then, cover and cook.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.