Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
Easy slow cooker lasagna soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with lasagna noodles, ricotta, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and ground beef.
Do you crave lasagna, but hate the amount of time it takes to layer it all together? Then, this soup is perfect for you! All the flavor, comfort, and goodness of lasagna thrown into the slow cooker so you can enjoy it without spending your whole evening making it. This Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup is another simple “fix it and forget it soup “that boasts your grandma’s flavors without the time commitment.
How To Make Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup Recipe From Scratch?
- Brown Beef– And drain fat, only if there is too much grease.
- Add to crockpot– Along with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, broth, diced tomatoes, pasta sauce.
- Mix- Until combined.
- Cover- And cook.
- Mix in lasagna noodles– Break them into smaller pieces.
- Cover and and cook– Until noodles are cooked through.
- Mix in cheeses– This includes ricotta and mozzarella.
- Enjoy– When cheese is melted, serve immediately.
What Sides To Serve With Easy Lazy Crockpot Lasagna Soup?
Vegetables are always a great side with a heavier soup like this one:
Bread would be nice. Try these:
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic bread
- Crusty ciabatta bread
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Soda bread
Vegetarian/Vegan lasagna soup– Leave out the beef or use a meatless alternative. Also, use vegan cheeses and vegetable broth.
Add chicken– Use leftover cubed or shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken.
Add Italian Sausage– Add mild, sweet, or hot Italian sausage crumbles for additional flavor. You can use half sausage and half beef, or simply replace the ground beef all together.
Add other cheeses– Such as goat, Asiago, Parmesan, or whatever your favorite might be.
Add pesto– Use store-bought or homemade, whichever you prefer!
Try other pasta sauces– I use basil and tomato, but you can use garlic, creamy, marinara, spicy arrabiata sauce, or even mix in some alfredo sauce to make an even creamier version.
Use other shapes of pasta– Just note that they have to be thick so they don’t overcook in the soup.
Add more veggies– Such as a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, peppers, or kale. Add them when the pasta is added so they don’t overcook and disintegrate.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes to add more heat to the soup.
Tips And Techniques
How to thicken soup? Please note the pasta will absorb a lot of the liquid as the soup cools and that will naturally make it thicker. However, if after the soup cools, you are still not satisfied, cook uncovered a little longer till it thickens to your desired consistency. Some people also mix in a small amount of cornstarch slurry.
How to make soup thinner? Simply add more broth or water.
Do NOT add noodles in the very beginning– This will cause them to over-cook and disintegrate.
Drain ground beef fat ONLY if there is a lot of it– If you get rid of it all, you also remove a lot of flavor.
What size crockpot to use? I recommend a 6 quart crockpot or larger so that all the ingredients fit properly, leaving enough room to mix.
Do I need to drain the canned tomatoes? No, you can add the liquid right into the slow cooker.
What to use instead of ricotta cheese? Cream cheese is a good substitute.
What setting to cook soup on? You can cook it on Low heat for 6 hours, or on High heat for 3 hours.
Adjust seasoning– Add more or less of whatever you like or don’t like.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing because the noodles will disintegrate upon thawing.
Reheat– In the microwave or on the stovetop. You will need to add more liquid when doing so because the noodles will absorb a lot of the liquid leaving it thick and chunky.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2.5-3 cups Broth, Chicken or vegetable, Low sodium
- 1 can Italian style diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz. can
- 1.5 cups Pasta sauce, I used tomato basil flavor but you can use whatever you like
- 8 Lasagna sheets, Broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Ricotta cheese, Or cream cheese, Full fat
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, Shredded, Full fat
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, garlic, onion and saute for a few minutes until meat is browned and no linger pink.
- Drain fat (only if there is too much grease).
- Transfer this browned meat to a crockpot (6 quart or larger).
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, broth, diced tomatoes, pasta sauce.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 3 hours.
- Remove lid and mix in the broken lasagna noodles.
- Cover and and cook for 25-30 minutes or until noodles are cooked to your liking.
- Remove lid and mix in ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- When cheese is melted, serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave. However, additional broth or water will need to be added when reheating since the pasta absorbs a lot of the liquid and that makes the soup very thick and chunky.