Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Rich, cheesy, creamy, easy slow cooker broccoli cheddar soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Full of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, vegetables (carrots, onions, broccoli).
Want to get your greens in for the day while satisfying those cheese cravings? This recipe is for you! It is full of nutritious vegetables and savory ingredients that will help keep you healthy and fill you up. Be sure to check out these other slow cooker soup recipes if you enjoy – Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup and Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup.
How to make slow cooker broccoli cheddar soup recipe from scratch?
- Add ingredients in slow cooker- This includes broccoli, onion, garlic, cream cheese, oregano, nutmeg, paprika, salt, pepper.
- Mix until combined – Be gentle!
- Cover and cook – Until carrots and broccoli are tender.
- Remove lid – Mix in evaporated milk.
- Puree half the soup – You want some chunks and texture.
- Mix in cheddar cheese – And enjoy!
What sides to serve with cheesy broccoli soup?
This dish is heavy enough to serve on its own, but here are some side you can try.
Vegetables are always a good option:
- Roasted vegetables
- Green salad with vinaigrette
Bread is sure to be a delicious side since it can absorb a lot of the juices and broth.
- Crusty bread
- Dinner rolls
Variations for best cheddar and broccoli soup
Garnish options- You can try lemon or lime zest, pork crackling, croutons, a pinch of fresh thyme, basil, rosemary or roughly chopped walnuts, almonds, pecans.
Add chicken- Mix in cooked bite sized pieces of chicken breast at the end.
Try other cheeses- Such as mozzarella, manchego, gouda, gruyere, or your personal favorite!
Add more veggies- Mix up your vegetable choices, spinach, kale, mushrooms, zucchini, etc.
Make it spicy– Add some crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper.
Make it creamier- Mix in half and half or heavy cream or even coconut milk for a richer flavor and texture.
Use other seasonings- Try using Italian, Mexican, Cajun, Indian, or Greek seasoning blends. The overall flavor of the soup changes based on your choice of seasoning.
Make it vegan– Use vegetable broth, dairy-free cream cheese, almond or cashew milk instead of regular milk, and finally, use vegan cheddar cheese.
Make it keto- Skip the flour and use arrowroot powder or just blend some of the soup to give a thick consistency. Consider adding 1 cup of heavy cream along with 1 cup of milk instead of 2 cups of milk. Also, use whole fat freshly grated cheddar cheese.
Tips and techniques
How to thicken soup- Add flour or cornstarch. For the best results, never add directly to your soup, it will clump up on top. Instead, mix a few tablespoons of flour or cornstarch to some broth or milk and whisk until it’s blended smooth and then add it into the soup. You can also cook uncovered to allow excess liquid to evaporate. This is far more efficient on stovetop.
How to make soup thinner- Just mix in some additional broth until you are satisfied with the consistency.
Don’t blend the whole soup- Because you need the added texture from the veggies.
How to fix grainy soup- Your soup might come out grainy because of high cooking temperature, causing the fats to separate. This is not reversible but it can be avoided. Make sure you are using low heat when melting the cheddar cheese and only add it in near the end of the cook time.
Use low-sodium ingredients- Because it prevents this meal from being too salty.
Fresh ingredients vs. Frozen ingredients- Use fresh vegetables because they taste better and look better in soups. Also, they don’t release a lot of water during cooking.
Sauté vegetables on stovetop- Sautéing vegetables in oil or butter before adding them to a soup will seal in their flavor and help keep them firm after they are added to the soup.
Adjust seasoning- Add more or less based on your personal preference.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing this soup because it has a lot of dairy which does not thaw well and can separate.
Reheat– On the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 cups Broccoli, Fresh, Roughly chopped
- 1 cup Carrots, Peeled, Finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup Onion , Finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cream cheese, Full fat, Can add up to 1/2 cup if you want the soup more cheesy
- 1-2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2.5 cups Broth, Chicken or vegetable, Low sodium
- 1 can Evaporated milk, 12 oz. can, Full fat, Can also use half and half
- 1 block Cheddar cheese, Freshly grated, 8 oz. block, Full fat
- Add broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic, cream cheese, oregano, nutmeg, paprika, salt, pepper, broth in a large crockpot (6 quart or larger).
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 2 hours or Low heat for 4 hours or until carrots and broccoli are tender.
- Remove lid and mix in evaporated milk.
- Use a hand-held immersion blender to puree about half of the soup. Don't puree it completely because you want to have some chunks and texture.
- Mix in cheddar cheese and cook uncovered on High heat for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.