Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Easy chicken broccoli casserole recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with diced chicken, mushrooms, onions, fresh or frozen broccoli florets, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and topped off with crushed Ritz crackers.
A casserole in a slow cooker means a full, complete meal with barely any hands on time! Yes, dreams do come true. This Slow Cooker Cauliflower Casserole and Slow Cooker Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole are also super fast casserole options to try.
How To Make Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe From Scratch?
- Add ingredients– In a slow cooker, add chicken. Sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. Add onion, mushrooms, broccoli and spread it out evenly. Don’t mix!
- Add soup– Pour cans of cream of mushroom soups evenly on top of all these vegetables.
- Add cheese– Sprinkle shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese on top evenly. Don’t mix.
- Cover and cook– On High heat for 4 hours or on Low heat for 6 hours.
- Enjoy!– Serve over steamed rice or boiled noodles (egg noodles are delish) and garnish with crushed ritz crackers, if you like.
What Sides To Serve With Crockpot Cheesy Chicken And Broccoli Casserole?
Serve this casserole over steamed rice or boiled noodles such as egg noddles, or other larger noodles like rotini, cavatappi, or elbow macaroni.
A simple green salad would also make a nice pairing.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Raw Chicken In A Casserole?
In a slow cooker it takes raw chicken 4 hours on High Heat to cook and 6 Hours on Low Heat to cook. In the oven it typically take 45-50 minutes to cook.
Variations For Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Shred chicken– Instead of adding diced chicken, leave it whole. At the end, shred it.
Chicken broccoli rice casserole– Don’t add uncooked rice, it will become very soggy during the long cook time. It’s best to serve this casserole over steamed rice instead.
Chicken and broccoli bake– Remove the chicken and broccoli from the crockpot and broil in the oven for 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
Make it healthier– Use low-fat cheeses and low-fat soups.
Try a combination of soups– You can use cream of chicken and cream of mushroom, or what ever cream soup you prefer.
Add bacon– For a smoky, salty addition and added flavor.
Ranch cheesy chicken and broccoli casserole– Add a packet of dry ranch seasoning, and omit the other seasoning.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes or even a can of green chilies.
Add seasoning– Such as Mexican, Italian, Cajun, or Greek seasoning.
Add other cheeses– Such as Asiago, Parmesan, white cheddar, or provolone.
Add other vegetables– Such as a bag of frozen mixed veggies.
Tips And Techniques
Frozen broccoli vs. fresh broccoli– Either can be used, but I prefer fresh because they don’t release as much water during cooking.
Add the Ritz cracker topping at the end– Don’t add it in the beginning or it will steam and become a soggy mess.
How to know when casserole is done? Cook on High heat for 4 hours or on Low heat for 6 hours until broccoli is tender and chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
Adjust seasoning– Add more or less according to your preference.
What cut of chicken to use? I used cubed chicken breast for this recipe, but you can use thighs if you prefer.
Spread ingredients evenly– Do not mix layers. This ensures that everything cooks evenly and doesn’t burn.
Add ingredients in the order listed– This also ensures that they cook properly and fully.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing because the dairy in this casserole will separate upon thawing.
Reheat– In the microwave.
More Slow Cooker Casserole Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 1.5 pounds Chicken breast, Diced
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1.5 cup Mushrooms, Cleaned, Sliced
- 5 cups Broccoli florets, Fresh, Can add up to 6 cups
- 2 cans Cream of mushroom soup, 10.5 oz. cans each
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, Full fat, Shredded
- 1/2-3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, Full fat, Shredded, Adjust according to your preference
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, Crushed, For garnish, Optional
- In a slow cooker, add chicken.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.
- Add onion, mushrooms, broccoli and spread it out evenly. Don't mix!
- Pour cans of cream of mushroom soups as evenly as possible on top of all these vegetables.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese on top evenly. Don't mix.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 4 hours or on Low heat for 6 hours until broccoli is tender and chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Serve over steamed rice or boiled noodles (egg noodles are delish) and garnish with crushed ritz crackers, if you like. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.