Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Easy chicken broccoli casserole recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with diced chicken, mushrooms, onions, fresh or frozen broccoli florets, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and topped off with crushed Ritz crackers.
A casserole in a crockpot means a full, complete meal with barely any hands-on time! Yes, dreams do come true! This Slow Cooker Cauliflower Casserole and Slow Cooker Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole are also super fast options to try.
How To Make Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe From Scratch?
- Add ingredients in slow cooker- This includes chicken, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, onion, mushrooms, broccoli.
- Spread it out– But don’t mix.
- Add soup – And spread it out.
- Add cheese– But don’t mix.
- Cover and cook– Until chicken is tender.
- Garnish– With crushed ritz crackers, if you like.
What Sides To Serve With Crockpot Cheesy Chicken And Broccoli Casserole?
Serve this over steamed rice or boiled noodles such as egg noddles, or other larger noodles like rotini, cavatappi, or elbow macaroni.
A simple green salad would also make a nice and light pairing.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Raw Chicken In A Casserole?
In a slow cooker it takes raw chicken 4 hours on High Heat to cook and 6 Hours on Low Heat to cook. In the oven it typically take 45-50 minutes to cook. Please note that these timings can vary slightly depending on the brand and age of of your crockpot
Variations For Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Shred chicken– Instead of adding diced chicken, use whole chicken breasts. Prior to serving, shred it.
Chicken broccoli rice casserole– Don’t add uncooked rice, it will become very soggy during the long cook time. It’s best to serve this casserole over steamed rice instead.
Chicken and broccoli bake– Remove the chicken and broccoli from the crockpot and spread it in a casserole dish. Then, broil in the oven for 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
Make it healthier– Use low-fat cheeses and low-fat soups.
Try a combination of soups– You can use cream of chicken and cream of mushroom, or whatever cream soup you prefer.
Add bacon– Add crumbled bacon topping for a smoky addition.
Ranch cheesy chicken and broccoli casserole– Add a packet of dry ranch seasoning, and omit the other seasonings.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes or even a can of green chilies.
Add seasonings- Such as Mexican, Italian, Cajun, or Greek seasoning.
Add other cheeses– Such as Asiago, Parmesan, white cheddar, or provolone.
Add other vegetables– Such as a bag of frozen mixed veggies.
Tips And Techniques
Frozen broccoli vs. Fresh broccoli– Either can be used, but I highly recommend fresh because they don’t release as much water during cooking.
Add the Ritz cracker topping at the end– Don’t add it in the beginning or it will steam and become a soggy mess.
How to know when casserole is done? It’s done with broccoli is tender and chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
Adjust seasonings– Add more or less according to your preference.
What cut of chicken to use? I used cubed chicken breast for this recipe, but you can use boneless thighs if you prefer.
Spread ingredients evenly– Do not mix layers. This ensures that everything cooks evenly and doesn’t burn.
Add ingredients in the order listed– This also ensures that they cook properly and fully.
Use full fat cheeses- For maximum richness and creaminess.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing because the dairy in this casserole will separate upon thawing.
Reheat– In the microwave.
More Slow Cooker Casserole Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 1.5 pounds Chicken breast, Diced
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1.5 cup Mushrooms, Cleaned, Sliced
- 5 cups Broccoli florets, Fresh, Can add up to 6 cups
- 2 cans Cream of mushroom soup, 10.5 oz. cans each
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, Full fat, Shredded
- 1/2-3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, Full fat, Shredded, Adjust according to your preference
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, Crushed, For garnish, Optional
- In a slow cooker, add chicken.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.
- Add onion, mushrooms, broccoli and spread it out evenly. Don't mix!
- Pour cans of cream of mushroom soups as evenly as possible on top of all these vegetables.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese on top evenly. Don't mix.
- Cover and cook on High heat for 4 hours or on Low heat for 6 hours until broccoli is tender and chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Serve over steamed rice or boiled noodles (egg noodles are delish) and garnish with crushed ritz crackers, if you like. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.