Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
Easy, creamy slow cooker chicken and mushroom pasta recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Full of alfredo sauce, sauteed mushrooms, parmesan cheese and Italian herbs.
There’s just something about a hearty pasta like this one to fill you up and bring the family together. A great combination of chicken and mushroom makes my mouth water just thinking about it! But you know what else I love with mushrooms? These other great recipes: Slow Cooker Garlic Mushrooms, Slow Cooker Vegetarian Stuffing (Mushroom Stuffing), and Slow Cooker Mushroom Bolognese.
How to make slow cooker creamy mushroom pasta recipe?
- Saute mushrooms- Until golden brown.
- Transfer-To greased crockpot.
- Mix in other ingredients– This includes chicken breasts, Alfredo sauce, condensed cream of mushroom soup, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Cover- And cook.
- Shred chicken– With forks.
- Add pasta– And mix until combined.
- Top it off– With parmesan, basil, red chili flakes.
What to serve with easy chicken and mushroom pasta?
Pasta always goes great along a green salad with a light dressing.
Vegetables in general, such as fresh or roasted vegetables also pair well.
Of course, we all love bread. Dinner rolls, breadsticks or crusty artisan bread will all work well too.
Variations for mushroom alfredo
Mushroom spinach pasta– Add some fresh, roughly chopped spinach at the end and mix it in to make for a bit of added nutrition. If you are like me, adding spinach to anything makes me feel good because it’s healthy.
Bacon mushroom pasta– Adding a little bacon to almost any dish is a win. The flavor it brings to the table is irresistible. I like to sprinkle some precooked, crumbled bacon on top at the end.
Use other types of pastas– I used spaghetti noodles for this recipe, but you can use any of your favorite pastas. Some that would work well include linguine or fettuccine.
Use other mushrooms– White mushrooms are my favorite for this recipe, but there are many different options you can use, such as portobello, cremini, or shiitake.
Add tomatoes– Sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped, would be the best, because they add a nice texture and flavor without adding too much moisture to the sauce.
Tips and Techniques for cheesy mushroom spaghetti
Mushrooms must be sautéed first- Because they release too much water during cooking and will thin out the sauce. Besides, the sautéing process adds flavor!
Pasta must be boiled and drained before being mixed in– Otherwise you will have a very soupy pasta sauce! You want to drain the pasta thoroughly before mixing it in with the other ingredients so that the sauce has a nice consistency.
Boil pasta in salted water– Because this will add to the overall flavor of the dish.
Use freshly grated/shredded parmesan cheese– Because it doesn’t have a chalky or grainy texture like the powdery kind you get at the store.
How to thicken pasta sauce? Use a cornstarch slurry that you whisk in slowly to the sauce at the end. Let it simmer uncovered while stirring occasionally and the sauce will thicken nicely.
How to make pasta sauce thinner? You can add more liquid, such as milk, water, or broth a little at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
Storage for mushroom fettuccine
Fridge- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Pasta will absorb a lot of the sauce overnight so you will need to add a splash of broth, milk, or water to bring it back to the same consistency when reheating.
Freezer- This cannot be frozen. It does not thaw well and the texture of pasta changes dramatically.
More slow cooker pasta recipes
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Slow Cooker Pasta
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker American Goulash
Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 package White mushrooms, Cleaned, Diced, 8 oz. package
- 1-2 Chicken breasts, Large, I only used 1 large chicken breast because I wanted a stronger mushroom flavor
- 2 jars Alfredo sauce, 15 oz. each
- 1/2 cup Condensed cream of mushroom soup , Can be replaced with cream of chicken soup
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 pound Spaghetti , Boiled and drained
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, Freshly grated or shredded
- 1 tbsp Basil, Or parsley, Fresh, Roughly chopped, For topping
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional, For topping
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute them until excess water is evaporated and they are golden brown.
- Transfer this to a large greased crockpot (6 quart or larger).
- Add chicken breasts, alfredo sauce, condensed cream of mushroom soup, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on Low heat for 2.5-3 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts and use a sharp knife to cut them into small cubes OR use two forks to shred them.
- Add the meat back into the slow cooker and mix everything gently.
- Mix in boiled/ drained pasta.
- Top it all off with parmesan cheese, fresh basil and red chili flakes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. A splash of water or broth may be needed when reheating in the microwave because the pasta would have absorbed a lot of the sauce and become thick.