Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
Easy slow cooker beef barley soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with vegetables, pearl barley, broth, wine, Italian herbs.
- 1.5 pounds Cooked stew meat cubes or chuck roast cubes, Can use leftovers from a previous meal
- 3-4 Carrots , Medium size, Peeled, Diced
- 1.5 cups Onion , Finely chopped
- 3-4 Potatoes , Medium size, Peeled, Cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 stalks Celery , Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic , Minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, Finely chopped
- 6 cups Beef broth , Low sodium
- 1 cup Red wine, Optional, Or replace with beef broth
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/3 cup Tomato sauce, Or crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3/4 Pearl barley
- 3/4 cup Frozen vegetables , Use a blend of your favorite veggies
- 1-2 tbsp Parsley , Fresh, Finely chopped, For garnish
In a slow cooker, add cooked meat.If you don't have cooked meat, heat 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick pan and saute beef over medium-high heat until golden brown. Then, add this into a crockpot.
Add carrots, onion, potatoes, celery, garlic, ginger, broth, wine, tomato paste, tomato sauce, mustard, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, bay leaf, barley. Mix until combined.
Cover and cook on High heat for 4 hours.
Then, mix in frozen vegetables.
Cover and cook on Low heat for 2 hours.
Garnish with finely chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The soup will get thicker because the barley will continue to absorb the broth. Mix in more broth or water, when heating, to make it thinner again.
Calories: 414kcal, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 35g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 78mg, Sodium: 376mg, Potassium: 1232mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 6536IU, Vitamin C: 32mg, Calcium: 86mg, Iron: 4mg