Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Easy split pea soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with tender green split peas, broth, garlic, bacon and vegetables. Also known as green pea soup.
- 1 bad Dried green split peas, Rinsed, 16 oz. bag
- 1 cup Sweet potatoes, Peeled and Diced
- 1 cup Carrots
- 1 cup Celery, Diced
- 1 Onion, Finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 sprig Thyme, Fresh, Can be replaced with any other fresh herbs of your choice
- 1 sprig Rosemary, Fresh, Can be replaced with any other fresh herbs of your choice
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric, Optional
- 6-8 cups Broth, Chicken or Vegetable, Low sodium, Start with 6 cups and add more if you want a thinner soup
- 1/3 cup Bacon bits, Cooked
- 1 tbsp Garnish, Such as roughly chopped fresh parsley or green onions
Add split peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, turmeric, broth.
Mix until combined.
Cover and cook on High heat for 4 hours or Low heat for 6-8 hours or until peas are cooked through and very soft. Be sure to stir every few hours for even cooking.
Discard the bay leaves, thyme and rosemary sprigs.
Sprinkle cooked bacon bits on top and garnish with parsley or green onions. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Calories: 116kcal, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1214mg, Potassium: 241mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 7285IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 42mg, Iron: 1mg