Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
Easy slow cooker French Dip Sandwich recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with shredded beef, caramelized onions and served with Au Jus gravy.
- 1 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 pounds Chuck roast, Trimmed of excess fat
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 cup Onions, Sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1 can Beer, 12 oz. can
- 2 cups Beef broth, Low sodium
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 8 Rolls, Large, Brushed with garlic butter and toasted in oven until golden brown, Consider using crusty bread like French baguette, French rolls, hoagie rolls so they absorb the Au jus better
- 8-10 slices Provolone cheese
Season roast with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick pot or pan and sear all the sides until golden brown.
Transfer meat to your slow cooker.
In the same pot or pan you browned the meat, add onions, garlic and saute for a few minutes until garlic is fragrant.
Add beer and deglaze the pan, scraping all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
Transfer this onion mixture and all the juices to the slow cooker.
Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, additional salt and pepper (if necessary). Mix.
Cover and cook on High heat for 3-4 hours or on Low heat for 5-6 hours or until meat is very tender.
Transfer meat to a serving dish and shred it with 2 forks.
Discard the bay leaf.
Strain liquid remaining in crockpot through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and serve this strained Au jus with sandwiches for dipping. On busy days, I just skip this straining step and shred the meat in the crockpot and it still tastes really good.
Transfer the shredded meat and the onions back into the slow cooker. Pour over a little bit of au jus to moisten the meat.
Pile meat onto toasted buttered rolls.
Top with cheese. Heat in oven on broiler setting until cheese starts melting. I also added some sliced jalapenos because I really like them.
Enjoy with the strained Au jus. If there is not enough Au jus for everyone, mix in a a little more broth to the Au jus.
- If you are short on time, add all the ingredients in a crockpot. Mix everything together. Cover and cook on Low heat for 8 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.
Calories: 794kcal, Carbohydrates: 48g, Protein: 61g, Fat: 38g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 179mg, Sodium: 894mg, Potassium: 852mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 311IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 253mg, Iron: 19mg