Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup
Easy slow cooker chicken barley soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with vegetables, rotisserie chicken, Italian seasoning.
- 1 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1 cup Carrots, Peeled, Diced
- 1/2 cup Celery , Sliced
- 5-6 cups Chicken broth, Low sodium, Always start with 5 cups and add more, if necessary
- 1 Tomato, Medium size, Finely chopped, Can also be replaced with 1/4 cup tomato sauce or leftover marinara sauce
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2/3 cups Pearl barley
- 1/3 cup Corn, Frozen
- 1/3 cup Peas, Frozen
- 2 cups Rotisserie chicken , Diced or Shredded
- 1-2 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Roughly chopped, For garnish
Heat butter and oil a nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and saute for about 4-5 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
Tip 1: Use a multifunctional slow cooker that allows you to saute the veggies the in the slow cooker. This way, you won’t have to make another pot or pan dirty. Tip 2: If you are short on time, don't saute the vegetables and just add everything in the crockpot and continue with the rest of the steps.
Add these sauteed vegetables in a crockpot (6 quart or larger).
Also, add broth, tomato, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, bay leaf, barley and mix everything until combined.
Cover and cook on Low heat for 5 hours or until vegetables are tender and barley is cooked through.
Mix in corn, peas and rotisserie chicken. If the soup is looking too thick, add more broth.
Cover and continue cooking on Low heat for 30 minutes.
Discard bay leaf.
Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop. Additional broth will need to be added to thin out the soup again because barley absorbs a lot of the broth.
Calories: 294kcal, Carbohydrates: 27g, Protein: 26g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 81mg, Sodium: 1055mg, Potassium: 441mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 3980IU, Vitamin C: 25mg, Calcium: 49mg, Iron: 2mg