Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
Easy slow cooker sweet potato chili recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Full of fire roasted tomatoes, red beans, black beans, rice, corn and chili powder.
- 1/2 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 1 cup Green peppers, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , Finely minced
- 1 can Red beans, 15 oz. can, Drained and rinsed
- 1 can Black beans, 15 oz. can, Drained and rinsed
- 1 can Fire roasted tomatoes , 15 oz. can
- 1 Sweet potato, Large, Peeled, Diced into 1 inch cubes, Or use 2 medium size potatoes
- 2 cups Broth, Chicken or vegetable broth, Low sodium
- 1-2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Frozen corn
- 1/2 cup Brown rice , Optional, Cooked, Can be replaced with cooked quinoa or cooked white rice, Can use leftovers
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon juice, Or lime juice, Optional
Add onions, green peppers, garlic, red beans, black beans, tomatoes, sweet potato, broth, chili powder, cumin powder, paprika, salt, pepper in a large crockpot (6 quart or larger).
Cover and cook on Low heat for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
In the final 10 minutes, mix in frozen corn, cooked rice and lemon juice.
Optional: Use an immersion blender to blend a small portion of this chili to thicken it up. Don't blend it fully! You can also remove about 1 cup of the chili and blend it separately and mix it back into the pot.
Garnish with toppings of your choice and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- If you add rice, please note that it will absorb a lot of the liquid over time and chili will become thick. This is especially relevant with leftovers. To thin it out, simply mix in more broth or water and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.
Calories: 136kcal, Carbohydrates: 28g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 486mg, Potassium: 431mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 6839IU, Vitamin C: 25mg, Calcium: 64mg, Iron: 2mg