Slow Cooker Mushroom Bolognese
Easy slow cooker mushroom bolognese recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with button mushrooms, vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, celery and Italian herbs. Best served with spaghetti.
- 2 tbsp Butter , Unsalted
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Onion, Finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1.5 cups Carrots, Peeled, Diced
- 2 stalks Celery, Diced
- 2 containers White button mushrooms, 8 oz. each, Cleaned, Roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Red wine, Or use low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans Crushed tomatoes, 28 oz. can each
- 1 can Tomato paste, 6 oz. can
- 1/2- 1 cup Milk, Whole, Adjust according to your preference, Can be replaced with vegan milk
- 1.5 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1 cube Vegetable bouillon, Crushed, Optional
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Roughly chopped, For garnish
Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
And add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and saute until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Transfer this to slow cooker.
In the same pan, add mushrooms and saute them until liquid is evaporated and they are golden brown.
Transfer these mushrooms to the crockpot too.
In the same nonstick pan, add red wine. Bring to simmer and scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.Then, pour this mixture into the slow cooker too.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, milk, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, sugar, crushed bouillon cube (optional), red chili flakes, bay leaf.
Mix until combined.
Cover and cook on Low heat for 4-4.5 hours or on High heat for 2-2.5 hours.
Discard bay leaf.
Garnish with parsley.
Serve over pasta and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Calories: 210kcal, Carbohydrates: 31g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Sodium: 544mg, Potassium: 1042mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 19g, Vitamin A: 6464IU, Vitamin C: 27mg, Calcium: 183mg, Iron: 4mg