Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
Easy slow cooker bolognese sauce recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with ground beef, tomatoes, carrots, celery and lots of Italian herbs. Best served with spaghetti.
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 cups Onion, Finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1.5 cups Carrots, Peeled, Diced
- 2 stalks Celery, Diced
- 2 pound Ground beef
- 1 cup Red wine, Or use low sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cans Crushed tomatoes, 28 oz. can each
- 1 can Tomato paste, 6 oz. can
- 1/2-1 cup Milk, Whole, Adjust according to your preference
- 1.5 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 2 cubes Beef bouillon , Crushed
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes, Optional
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Roughly chopped, For garnish
Heat half the butter and half the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and saute until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Transfer this to slow cooker.
Heat remaining butter and oil in the same nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
Add beef and cook, breaking it up, until browned.
Transfer to slow cooker as well.
In the same nonstick pan, add red wine.
Bring to simmer and scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
Then, pour this mixture into the slow cooker too.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, milk, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, sugar, crushed bouillon cubes, red chili flakes, bay leaf.
Mix until combined.
Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
Discard bay leaf.
Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days and reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Calories: 611kcal, Carbohydrates: 28g, Protein: 31g, Fat: 39g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Trans Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 117mg, Sodium: 661mg, Potassium: 1385mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 16g, Vitamin A: 6333IU, Vitamin C: 26mg, Calcium: 134mg, Iron: 6mg